Tuesday, 2 October 2012

A family Wedding - The Photographers perspective

I thought I would share with you all, a very special day. Paula Staurt's wedding. Now as we all know, weddings are very personal affairs, each planned with meticulous detail. Each detail is planned to the nth degree. Flowers to dresses, dresses to photographers....taking a bow....this is my cue to open my mouth and ask that question...'have you sorted a photographer or shall I throw my kit in the boot?'

For anyone who knows my sister, you will know that she is terrified of cameras. It has taken years of me forcing her, much to her dismay, into situations where she has to have the odd snap. I think the first time I left her no option, was probably our Dad's 70th birthday. An all important memory captured in a flash....Dad and his five girls.

 
Beyond this I took advantage of her by offering to take some promotional  photos of her for her bear making business.  Take a look....she makes fab cuddlies!

As with every wedding, the minute I am booked, I set about planning my approach to the day. With Paula, this started with me popping down to Kent for a bit of sister/camera bonding.  I was determined she would make friends with my best friend Nikon.

We had such a fab day, plenty of laughs, loads of chat ( even when taking the photos PAULA!)  It's a nervous thing she does....very funny but can prove a tad challenging lol.
 
Here are a few favourites from our day.
 
     The terrified              My Sister!                    The Model



Never mind my naughty little sister.....what about my naughty big one!

The weather was great, the location perfect and all in all, we had a lovely time.  I even think by the end of the day she was beginning to make friend with my Nikon buddy.
 
Back to the wedding.  Of course I was chuffed to bits to be photographer for the day.  Would I have loved to have a day off....probably.  But certainly not at the expense of her not having a photographer....and she wouldn't.
 
So what does the photographer, who is on the all important invite, wear for the day?  Usually I would opt for a functional suit with black smart trainers and full camera holster or double black rapid strap.  I say usually as trainers and trousers were not on the invited list.
A lot of thought had to go into the perfect wedding outfit, and with my partner in crime Lynda ( one of my younger sisters) we hit West Quay in style.  She is so much like me its scary.  Together we plotted the perfect outfit....or a close too as we could get.  Anyone who know me, knows floaty frock is not in my vocabulary so I reckon we did pretty good in the circumstances.

 The all important shoes

No photographer should have to teeter around on heels whilst working....not sure what Lyns excuse is lol.
 
The same amount of equipment carried, just not quite so easily accesible on the day.  Ian, as always, was my bag man.  My second camera was handed to who ever was standing close by at the time.  New challenges for the day included....how does the photographer join in the family photographs?  Simple....set the camera, hand it to a willing person and check VERY carefully after the photograph has been taken.....heads and feet are imprtant after all!
 
Proof that it can be done..
 
Meet my Mum and my Sisters.  I love this photo.
 
So what about when everyone is in a photo....10 second timer....then RUN!
 
 
OK, enough about the photographer, time to share some of those all important images from the day.  I hope you enjoy your insight into my personal world.
 
 
My handsome Nephew
 
 
 
The deed is done
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Congratualtions to you both x
 
A note from the photographer.  It seems that when it comes to choosing the right images from your sisters special day, objectivity gets thrown out of the window.  How on earther is the photographer supposed to send her own family into the recycling bin!
 
Two days editing, one VERY numb bum later has ensured that if any other members of her family decide to tie the knot....you may just get deleted.  This photographer needs to get ruthless lol.
 


1 comment:

Paula Carter said...

Chuckling here - such happy memories, not only of our wedding day, but all the other days we've shared too. I couldn't have asked for a more generous photographer to take our pics and more importantly, capture our special moments, rather than design them. You did great and yes, you are even forgiven the shoes! ;o) xxx

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed